It seems that the partnership between Meizu and Canonical who is responsible for Ubuntu operating system is going strong as the two have unveiled a new Smartphone Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition Smartphone although it was expected that Meizu will launch its latest Ubuntu Smartphone during the mobile world congress event in Barcelona, however, company have already made this device official ahead of MWC 2016 next week.
According to Canonical, this is the fifth handset launched in past 12 months running on Ubuntu OS and this device is the feature rich Ubuntu phone in the market.As according to the listing Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition is almost identical to Android version of Meizu Pro 5 and the only difference between the two being the operating system.
Specification wise the Meizu PRO 5 has 5.7 inches full HD (1920×1080 pixels) super AMOLED display with 2.5D curved glass and protected by corning gorilla glass 3 and powered by Octa-Core (Quad 2.1GHz + Quad 1.5GHz) built on Samsung Exynos 7420 processor with Mali T760 GPU for graphics.
It has 2GB LPDDR4 RAM and 32GB Internal storage which can be further expanded via micro SD card and hybrid Dual SIM (SIM 2 slot can be used as microSD card also) and runs on Ubuntu operating system.
In terms of camera, it has 21.6 megapixels rear camera with Dual tone LED flash, Laser Autofocus, PDAF, Sony IMX 230 Exmor RS BSI sensor, 6-element lens, f/2.2 aperture, 4K video recording and 5 Megapixels front camera with f/2.0 aperture and OmniVision PureCel sensor.this device also supports fingerprint scanner.
On the connectivity front, this device supports 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.1, GPS, USB 3.0 Type-C and backed up by 3,050 mAh long lasting battery it measures 156.7x78x7.5 mm and 166 grams weight.
The Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu edition is made of stainless steel and comes in Silver, Grey and Gold color variants and will be available to preorder during MWC event on Meizu’s Website.On the other hand, the company didn’t reveal its pricing yet.
Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition Smartphone Key Features
- 5.7 inches Full HD (1920×1080 pixels) Super AMOLED display with 2.5D curved glass and corning gorilla glass 3 protection.
- Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 7420 processor along with Mali-T760 GPU.
- 3GB RAM and 32GB expandable internal storage.
- Hybrid Dual SIM (either use SIM card or micro SD card on Slot 2).
- Runs on Ubuntu operating system.
- 6 megapixels rear camera and 5 megapixels front camera.
- Fingerprint sensor support.
- It measures 156.7x78x7.5 mm and 166 grams weight.
- Connectivity options: 4G LTE, 3G HSP+, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, USB 3.0 Type C.
- Powered by 3,050 mAh battery.